Terms & Conditions
Conditions of Sale:
- In these Conditions:
– “Buyer”means the person who accepts a quotation of the Seller for the sale of the Goods or whose order for the Goods is accepted by the Seller.
– “Goods”means the goods (including any instalment of the goods or any parts for them) which the Seller is to supply in accordance with these Conditions (as the same may be specified on any order form to which these Conditions are annexed).
– “Seller”means ROMA INTERNATIONAL PLC
– “Conditions”means the standard terms and conditions of sale set out in this document and (unless the context otherwise requires) includes any special terms and conditions agreed in writing between the Buyer and the Seller.
– “Contract”means the contract for the purchase and sale of the Goods.
– “Writing”includes telex cable facsimile transmission and comparable means of communication.
- Any reference in these Conditions to any provision of a statute shall be construed as a reference to that provision as amended re-enacted or extended at the relevant time.
- The headings in these Conditions are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation.
Basis of the sale
- The Seller shall sell and the Buyer shall purchase the Goods in accordance with any written quotation of the Seller which is accepted by the Buyer or any written order of the Buyer which is accepted by the Seller subject in either case to these Conditions which shall govern the Contract to the exclusion of any other terms and conditions subject to which any such quotation is accepted or purported to be accepted or any such order is made or purported to be made by the Buyer.
- No variation to these Conditions shall be binding unless agreed in Writing between the authorised representatives of the Buyer and the Seller.
- The Seller’s employees or agents are not authorised to make any representations concerning the Goods unless confirmed by the Seller in Writing. In entering into the Contract the Buyer acknowledges that it does not rely on and waives any claim for breach of any such representations which are not so confirmed.
- Any advice or recommendation given by the Seller or its employees or agents to the Buyer or its employees or agents as to the storage application or use of the Goods which is not confirmed in Writing by the Seller is followed or acted upon entirely at the Buyer’s own risk and accordingly the Seller shall not be liable for any such advice or recommendation which is not so confirmed.
- Any typographical clerical or other error or omission in any sales literature quotation price list acceptance of offer invoice or other document or information issued by the Seller shall be subject to correction without any liability on the part of the Seller.
Orders and specifications
- No order submitted by the Buyer shall be deemed to be accepted by the Seller unless and until confirmed in Writing by the Seller’s authorised representative.
- The Buyer shall be responsible to the Seller for ensuring the accuracy of the terms of any order (including any applicable specification) submitted by the Buyer and for giving the Seller any necessary information relating to the Goods within a sufficient time to enable the Seller to perform the contract in accordance with its terms.
- The quantity quality and description of and any specification for the Goods shall be those set out in the Seller’s quotation (if accepted by the Buyer) or the Buyer’s order (if accepted by the Seller).
- If the Goods are to conform with a specification submitted by the Buyer the Buyer shall indemnify the Seller against all loss damages costs and expenses awarded against or incurred by the Seller in connection with or paid or agreed to be paid by the Seller in settlement of any claim for infringement of any patent copyright design trade mark or other industrial or intellectual property rights of any other person which results from the Seller’s use of the Buyer’s specification.
- No order which has been accepted by the Seller may be cancelled by the Buyer except with the agreement in Writing of the Seller and on terms that the Buyer shall indemnify the Seller in full against all loss (including loss of profit) costs (including the cost of all labour and materials used) damages charges and expenses incurred by the Seller as a result of cancellation.
Price of the goods
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing the price of the Goods shall be the Seller’s quoted price. All prices quoted are valid for 90 days only or until earlier acceptance by the Buyer after which time they may be altered by the Seller without giving notice to the Buyer.
- The Seller reserves the right by giving notice in Writing to the Buyer at any time before delivery to increase the price of the Goods to reflect any increase in the cost to the Seller which is due to any factor beyond the control of the Seller (such as without limitation any foreign exchange fluctuation currency regulation alteration of duties significant increase in the costs of labour materials or other costs of manufacture) any change in delivery dates quantities or specifications for the Goods which is requested by the Buyer or any delay caused by any instructions of the Buyer or failure of the Buyer to give the Seller adequate information or instructions.
- Except as otherwise stated under the terms of any quotation or order acknowledgement of the Seller and unless otherwise agreed in Writing between the Buyer and the Seller all prices are given by the Seller on an ex works basis and where the Seller agrees to deliver the Goods otherwise than at the Seller’s premises the Buyer shall be liable to pay the Seller’s charges for transport packaging and insurance.
- The price is exclusive of any applicable value added tax which the Buyer shall be additionally liable to pay to the Seller.
- The cost of pallets and returnable containers will be charged to the Buyer in addition to the price of the Goods but full credit will be given to the Buyer provided they are returned undamaged to the Seller before the due payment date.
Terms of payment
- Subject to any special terms agreed in Writing between the Buyer and the Seller the Seller shall be entitled to invoice the Buyer for the price of the Goods on or at any time after delivery of the Goods unless the Goods are to be collected by the Buyer or the Buyer wrongfully fails to take delivery of the Goods in which event the Seller shall be entitled to invoice the Buyer for the price at any time after the Seller has notified the Buyer that the Goods are ready for collection or (as the case may be) the Seller has tendered delivery of the Goods.
- The Buyer shall pay the price of the Goods without deduction or set off not later than the end of the month next following the month in which the Seller is entitled to invoice the Buyer for the price of the Goods notwithstanding that delivery may not have taken place and the property in the Goods has not passed to the Buyer. The time of payment of the price shall be of the essence of the Contract. Receipts for payment will be issued only upon request.
- If the Buyer fails to make any payment on the due date then without prejudice to any other right or remedy available to the Seller the Seller shall be entitled to:-
- Cancel the Contract or suspend any further deliveries to the Buyer
- Appropriate any payment made by the Buyer to such of the Goods (or the goods supplied under any other contract between the Buyer and the Seller) as the Seller may think fit (notwithstanding any purported appropriation by the Buyer) and
- Charge the Buyer interest (both before and after any judgment) on the amount unpaid at the rate of 4 per cent per annum above Barclays Bank Plc base rate from time to time until payment in full is made (a part of a month being treated as a full month for the purpose of calculating interest).
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing delivery of the Goods shall be made by the Seller delivering the Goods the Buyer at the Seller’s premises in which case the Seller shall at the Buyer’s request arrange for suitable transport to such place of delivery and arrange insurance thereof and the cost of transport (including damages incurred other than due to the default of the Seller) and insurance shall be borne by the Buyer.
- Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods howsoever caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date upon giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.
- Where delivery of the Goods is to be made by the Seller in bulk the Seller reserves the right to deliver up to ten per cent more or ten per cent less than the quantity ordered in which case the quantity so delivered shall be deemed to be the quantity ordered and the Buyer shall pay for the actual quantity delivered at the price ruling at the date of delivery.
- Where the Goods are to be delivered in instalments each delivery shall constitute a separate contract and failure by the Seller to deliver any one or more of the instalments in accordance with these Conditions or any claim by the Buyer in respect of any one or more instalments shall not entitled the Buyer to treat the Contract as a whole as repudiated.
- If the Seller fails to deliver the Goods for any reason other than any cause beyond the Seller’s reasonable control or the Buyer’s fault the Buyer shall be entitled to cancel the Contract in respect of any instalments remaining to be delivered (subject to the Buyer first paying the Seller for any instalments delivered) but shall have no other claim against the Seller for loss of profit or otherwise. The Seller shall not be deemed in breach of his delivery obligation until such time as the Buyer has given the Seller notice in writing requiring delivery of the Goods and giving the Seller a reasonable time within which to comply with such requirement and the Seller fails so to comply.
- If the Buyer fails to take delivery of the Goods or fails to give the Seller adequate delivery instructions at the time stated for delivery (otherwise than by reason of any cause beyond the Buyer’s reasonable control or by reason of the Seller’s fault) then without prejudice to any other right or remedy available to the Seller the Seller may:-
- Store the Goods until actual delivery and charge the Buyer for the reasonable costs (including insurance) of storage or
- Sell the Goods at the best price readily obtainable (after deducting all reasonable storage and selling expenses) account to the Buyer for the excess over the price under the contract or charge the Buyer for any shortfall below the price under the Contract or
- Cancel the Contract or suspend any further deliveries to be made under the contract without liability to the Buyer
Risk and property
- The risk of damage to or loss of the Goods shall pass to the Buyer:-
- In the case of Goods to be delivered at the Seller’s premises at the time when the Seller notifies the Buyer that the Goods are available for collection or
- In the case of Goods to be delivered otherwise than at the Seller’s premises at the time of delivery or if the Buyer wrongfully fails to take delivery of the Goods the time when the Seller has tendered delivery of the Goods
- Notwithstanding delivery and the passing of risk in the Goods or any other provision of these Conditions the property in the Goods shall not pass to the Buyer until the Seller has received in cash or cleared funds payment in full of the price of the Goods and all other Goods agreed to be sold by the Seller to the Buyer for which payment is then due.
- Until such time as the property in the Goods passes to the Buyer the Buyer shall hold the Goods as the Seller’s fiduciary agent and bailee and shall keep the Goods separate from those of the Buyer and third parties and properly stored protected and insured and identified as the Seller’s property. Until that time the Buyer shall be entitled to resell or use the Goods in the ordinary course of its business but shall account to the Seller for the proceeds of sale or otherwise of the Goods whether tangible or intangible including insurance proceeds and shall keep all such proceeds separate from any monies or property of the Buyer and third parties and in the case of tangible proceeds properly stored protected and insured.
- Until such time as the property in the Goods passes to the Buyer (and provided the Goods are still in existence and have not been resold) the Seller shall be entitled at any time to require the Buyer to deliver up the Goods to the Seller and if the Buyer fails to do so forthwith to enter upon any premises of the Buyer where the Goods are stored and repossess the Goods.
- The Buyer shall not be entitled to pledge or in any way charge by way of security for any indebtedness any of the Goods which remain the property of the Seller but if the Buyer does so all monies owing by the Buyer to the Seller shall (without prejudice to any other right or remedy of the Seller) forthwith become due and payable.
Warranties and liability
- Subject to the conditions set out below the Seller warrants that the Goods will at the time of delivery correspond with their specification and any sample in the case of a sale by sample and be free from defects in materials and workmanship subject to agreed tolerances.
- The above warranty is given by the Seller subject to the following conditions:-
- The Seller shall be under no liability in respect of any defect in the Goods arising from any drawing design or specification supplied by the Buyer.
- The Seller shall be under no liability in respect of any defect arising from fair wear and tear wilful damage negligence abnormal working conditions failure to follow the Seller’s instructions (whether oral or in writing) misuse or alteration or repair of the Goods mixing the Goods with any other goods or subjecting the Goods to any process without the Seller’s approval.
- The Seller shall be under no liability under the above warranty (or any other warranty condition or guarantee) if the total price for the Goods has not been paid by the due date for payment.
- The above warranty does not extend to parts materials or equipment not manufactured by the Seller in respect of which the Buyer shall only be entitled to the benefit of any such warranty or guarantee as is given by the manufacturer to the Seller.
- Subject as expressly provided in these Conditions warranties conditions or other terms implied by statute or common law are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Any claim by the Buyer which is based on any defect in the quality or condition of the Goods or their failure to correspond with specification or sample shall (whether or not delivery is refused by the Buyer) be notified to the Seller within 7 days from the date of delivery or (where the defect or failure was not apparent on reasonable inspection) within a reasonable time after discovery of the defect or failure. If delivery is not refused and the Buyer does not notify the Seller accordingly the Buyer shall not be entitled to reject the Goods and the Seller shall have no liability for such defect or failure and the Buyer shall be bound to pay the price as if the Goods had been delivered in accordance with the Contract.
- Where any valid claim in respect of any of the Goods which is based on any defect in the quality or condition of the goods or their failure to correspond with specification or sample is notified to the Seller in accordance with these Conditions the Seller shall be entitled to replace the Goods (or the part in question) free of charge or at the Seller’s sole discretion refund to the Buyer the price of the Goods (or a proportionate part of the price) but the Seller shall have no further liability to the Buyer.
- Except in respect of death or personal injury caused by the Seller’s negligence the Seller shall not be liable to the Buyer by reason of any representation or any implied warranty condition or other term or any duty at common law or under the express terms of the Contract for any consequential loss or damage (whether for loss of profit or otherwise) costs expenses or other claim for consequential compensation whatsoever (and whether caused by the negligence of the Seller its employees or agents or otherwise) which arise out of or in connection with the supply of the Goods or their use or resale by the Buyer except as expressly provided in these Conditions.
- The Seller shall not be liable to the Buyer or be deemed to be in breach of the Contract by reason of any delay in performing or any failure to perform any of the Seller’s obligations in relation to the Goods if the delay or failure was due to any cause beyond the Seller’s reasonable control. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the following shall be regarded as causes beyond the Seller’s reasonable control including (without limitation) strikes lock-outs or other industrial actions or trade disputes (whether involving employees of the Seller or of a third party), difficulties in obtaining raw materials labour fuel parts or machinery and power failure or breakdown in machinery.
- All moulds, blocks, dies, tools and similar material, produced by the Seller for the purpose of fulfilling the Buyer’s order for the Goods remain the property of the Seller (whether or not charged, in whole or part, to the Buyer). The copyright in art design, drawing, and sketches originated by the Seller in or about its performance of the Contract remains with the Seller. The Buyer acknowledges that all such copyright materials are submitted to it in confidence.
- If any claim is made against the Buyer that the Goods infringe or that their use or resale infringes the patent copyright design trade mark or other industrial or intellectual property rights of any other person the Seller shall indemnify the Buyer against all loss damages costs and expenses awarded against or incurred by the Buyer in connection with the claim or paid or agreed to be paid by the Buyer in settlement of the claim provided that:
- the Seller is given full control of any proceedings or negotiations in connection with any such claim.
- the Buyer shall give the Seller all reasonable assistance for the purposes of any such proceedings or negotiations.
- except pursuant to a final award the Buyer shall not pay or accept any such claim or compromise any such proceeding without the consent of the Seller (which shall not be unreasonably withheld).
- the Buyer shall do nothing which would or might vitiate any policy of insurance or insurance cover which the Buyer may have in relation to such infringement and this indemnity shall not apply to the extent that the Buyer recovers any sums under any such policy or cover (which the Buyer shall use its best endeavours to do).
- the Seller shall be entitled to the benefit of and the Buyer shall accordingly account to the Seller for all damages and costs (if any) awarded in favour of the Buyer which are payable by or agreed with the consent of the Buyer (which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld) to be paid by any other party in respect of any such claim and
- without prejudice to any duty of the Buyer at common law the Seller shall be entitled to require the Buyer to take such steps as the Seller may reasonably require to mitigate or reduce any such loss damages costs or expenses for which the Seller is liable to indemnify the Buyer under this clause.
Insolvency of Buyer
- This clause applies if:-
- the Buyer makes any voluntary arrangement with its creditors or becomes subject to an administration order or (being an individual or firm) becomes bankrupt or (being a company) goes into liquidation (otherwise than for the purposes of amalgamation or reconstruction) or
- an encumbrancer takes possession or a receiver is appointed of any of the property or assets of the Buyer or
- The Buyer ceases or threatens to cease to carry on business or
- the Seller reasonably apprehends that any of the events mentioned above is about to occur in relation to the Buyer and notifies the Buyer accordingly.
- If this clause applies then without prejudice to any other right or remedy available to the Seller the Seller shall be entitled to cancel the Contract or suspend any further deliveries under the Contract without any liability to the Buyer and if the Goods have been delivered but not paid for the price shall become immediately due and payable notwithstanding any previous agreement or arrangement to the contrary.
- In these Conditions “Incoterms” means the international rules for the interpretation of trade terms of the International Chamber of Commerce as in force at the date when the Contract is made. Unless the context otherwise requires any term or expression which is defined in or given a particular meaning in these Conditions shall have the same meaning in these Conditions but if there is any conflict between the provisions of Incoterms and these Conditions the latter shall prevail.
- Where the Goods are supplied for export from the United Kingdom the provisions of this clause 11 shall (subject to any special terms agreed in writing between the Buyer and the Seller) apply notwithstanding any other provisions of these Conditions.
- The Buyer shall be responsible for complying with any legislation or regulations governing the importation of the Goods into the country of destination and for the payment of any duties thereon.
- Unless otherwise agreed in Writing between the Buyer and the Seller the Goods shall be delivered fob the air or sea port of shipment and the Seller shall be under no obligation to give notice under section 32(3) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
- The Buyer shall be responsible for arranging for testing and inspection of the Goods at the Seller’s premises before shipment. The Seller shall have no liability for any claim in respect of any defect in the Goods which would be apparent on inspection and which is made after shipment or in respect of any damage during transit.
- Payment of all amounts due to the Seller shall be made by irrevocable letter of credit opened by the Buyer in favour of the Seller and confirmed by a bank in ‘C acceptable to the Seller or if the Seller has agreed in Writing on or before acceptance of the Buyer’s order to waive this requirement by acceptance by the Buyer and delivery to the Seller of a bill of exchange drawn on the Buyer and payable 60 days after sight to the order of the Seller at such branch of such bank as may be specified in the bill of exchange.
Acknowledgement by Buyer
- In relation to goods manufactured by the Seller to the Buyer design or specifications or exclusively or otherwise with special reference to the Buyer’s requirement the Buyer acknowledges (for the purpose of clause 3.6 and in the event the Buyer is in breach of its obligations under sub-clause 6.6) that the Goods may not reasonably be capable of resale by the Seller or may otherwise have little or no commercial value and in such case the proper measure of the Seller’s loss is unlikely to be less than the invoiced price of such Goods.
- The Seller may perform its obligation or exercise any of its rights hereunder by itself or by any parent or subsidiary company of the Seller provided that any act or omission of any subsidiary shall be deemed to be the act or omission of the Seller.
- Any notice required or permitted to be given by either party to the other under these Conditions shall be in Writing addressed to that other party at its registered office or principal place of business or such other address as may at the relevant time have been notified pursuant to this provision to the party giving the notice.
- No waiver by the Seller or any breach of the Contract by the Buyer shall be considered as a waiver of any subsequent breach of the same or any other provision.
- If any provision of these Conditions is held by any competent authority to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part the validity of the other provisions of these Conditions and the remainder of the provision in question shall not be affected thereby.
- Any dispute arising under or in connection with these Conditions or the sale of the Goods shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- The Contract shall be governed by the laws of England.